An executive summary of the basic approach and main results and achievements of 5G-MoNArch is now available for download!
Two important deliverables of 5G-MoNArch have been completed and are now available from the website:
- Technical and economic analysis – verification and validation of the benefits of 5G-MoNArch architecture and innovations. The technical verification is based on simulations provided by the technical WPs (WP2 architecture, WP3 resilience, reliability and security, and WP4 resource elasticity), measurements from the two testbeds in Hamburg and Turin, and a system simulation across a series of evaluation cases. The techno-economic analysis is based on the Hamburg study area and focuses on network cost reflecting 5G-MoNArch architecture and innovations, and opportunities for new revenue streams.
- Description of the testbeds – the final report from WP5 provides a thorough description of the use cases implemented in the Smart Sea Port testbed in Hamburg and the Touristic City testbed in Turin, the implementation, setup and deployment of the two testbeds, and the results of the experimental evaluation.
The last few weeks of 5G-MoNArch’s runtime were dedicated to showcasing the live operation of our testbeds, and informing about the final technical results. For this purpose, 5G-MoNArch has organised two dedicated events: on May 24th in Turin, to show the Touristic City testbed (find a summary of the event here), and on June 5th in Hamburg, to show the Smart Sea Port testbed together with all results on network architecture, reliability & security, resource elasticity, and verification and validation (find a summary of the event here). Finally, 5G-MoNArch had a strong footprint at the 2019 edition of the EuCNC conference (co-located with the 5G Global Event), with a booth showing the Touristic City testbed and a summary of the project’s results, two joint workshops, and several papers in the conference tracks.
- Visitors could get the live Virtual Reality experience of the Touristic City testbed, showing the successful application of 5G network slicing and orchestration, and the positive impact of resource elasticity mechanisms on the performance of a media & entertainment scenario. Find a video interview and the live demo at our booth in the official EuCNC YouTube webTV channel (external link: https://youtu.be/nw8J0ioU8Yc?t=882 starting at 14:42 minutes)
- The workshop on Artificial Intelligence, co-organised with SliceNet, presented the core findings on AI-based resource orchestration and the impact on standardisation (external link: https://www.eucnc.eu/workshops/workshop-7/)
- The workshop on 5G Architecture, organised by the 5G-PPP Architecture WG, presented the latest findings compiled in the 3rd edition of the Architecture Whitepaper (external link: https://www.eucnc.eu/workshops/workshop-8/)
Live experience of the project testbeds
- Turin, Palazzo Madama, on May 24th, 2019
- Hamburg, Dialoghaus, on June 5th, 2019
Please visit the Events and Publications page for more details on the events, flyers to download and the link to the registration form.
At the events a live experience of the Touristic City testbed and the Smart Sea Port testbed will be given to the visitors, together with details on the project’s main conceptual results, and the results of the (simulation-based) technical verification and socio-economic validation of concepts.
GSMA GLOMO Award on 5G Industry Partnership – for 5G-MoNArch partners Hamburg Port Authority, Deutsche Telekom and Nokia for the First Large Scale Industrial Commercial 5G Trial – the Hamburg Smart Sea Port testbed!
5G-MoNArch will be present with a demonstrator of the Smart Sea Port testbed at the Mobile World Congress 2019 in Barcelona from February 25-28, 2019. You can find us at the booth of the 5G Infrastructure Association in Hall 7, booth 7K17.
Focus of the demonstrator will be on the Network Slice Lifecycle Management, where we present a live connection to the testbed in Hamburg – network slices can be created, modified, deleted, and the impact on the KPIs of the applications running over the network can be visualised. For sure we can provide you with any further information on the project concept and results!
We are looking forward to welcome you at MWC2019!
Thanks a lot to all participants of the 5G-MoNArch ICT2018 networking session! We received very helpful comments and feedback as input to our project’s work on 5G network slicing evaluation. Interesting from the project’s point of view are in particular that major current pain points are in the capabilities (latency, throughput, availability) of current networks, but the goals for future networking solutions add flexibility and use case / application-specific network solutions on top.
The summary of the received feedback is available as a slide set here.
5G-MoNArch will spotlight the opportunities of 5G End-to-End network slicing in an interactive networking session for future connected businesses at the European ICT 2018 event in Vienna, Austria.
Please find more information about the networking session on the FLYER.
Further information is available from the ICT2018 website: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/events/cf/ict2018/item-display.cfm?id=22056
A full-day workshop with industry stakeholders for the Smart Sea Port testbed took place at the premises of Hamburg Port Authority (HPA) on November 6th, 2018, jointly organised by the 5G-MoNArch partners HPA, Deutsche Telekom and Nokia. The main goal of the workshop was to present and demonstrate the opportunities of 5G and network slicing in the port and logistics environment, and to discuss new applications and use cases.
The workshop started with an overview on 5G as a key technology for the digitalisation of the industry, and a presentation on network slicing as a main opportunity to customise networks for different businesses. After a keynote speech on the goals and the status of digitalisation in the Hamburg port, the three use cases implemented in the Smart Sea Port testbed were presented in life demonstrations to the auditory and the press. The very positive feedback accentuated the advantages and prospects, but also the expecations of the stakeholders on 5G and network slicing with respect to reliability, flexibility and security.
A summary of the workshop can be derived from the YouTube channel of HPA’s smartPORT.TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvV_9liOcAQ
In occasion of the first year review, 5G-MoNArch project interviewed the representative of Turin Municipality and Fondazione Torino Musei to witness their interest in participating to the Touristic city testbed activities as vertical stakeholders. Their involvement on voluntary basis, shows how the 5G-MoNArch solutions have a big potential in provide new innovative approaches and opportunities for the touristic sector, contributing to its growth. But 5G-MoNArch solutions go even beyond, meeting the needs of MNOs in the context of the new 5G applications and related requirements.
5G-MoNArch had its fifth face-to-face meeting at the premises of CERTH-ITI, in Thessaloniki, Greece.
The project is now entering its second year.
Our latest deliverable is D5.1 – Testbed setup and 5G-MoNArch technologies demonstrated.
Here is where to find us:
- 5G-MoNArch has a demo booth where we present a demonstrator on network slicing prepared by NOMOR, posters describing the concepts and features developed within the project and the brand new video
- Real Wireless presents 5G-MoNArch in the 2nd Workshop on business models and techno-economic analysis for 5G networks
- Monday, 18 June 2018, 09:00-18:00, Štih hall
- 5G-MoNArch is represented in three Special Sessions:
- Special Session 4a: Resource Elasticity for 5G Network Architecture
- Wednesday, 20 June 2018, 16:00-17:30, E3 hall
- Special Session 4b: 5G Mobile Network Architecture and New Radio Advances (5GMoNANeRA)
- Thursday, 21 June 2018, 09:00-10:30, E3 hall
- Special Session 5: 5G Architecture towards Verticals
- Thursday, 21 June 2018, 09:00-10:30, E2 hall
- Special Session 4a: Resource Elasticity for 5G Network Architecture
Several papers from the project are presented during the conference:
|Sina Khatibi, Kunjan Shah, Mustafa Roshdi||Modelling of Computational Resources for 5G RAN|
|Borislava Gajic, Christian Mannweiler, Diomidis S. Michalopoulos||Cognitive Network Fault Management Approach for Improving Resilience in 5G Networks|
|Anastasios Zafeiropoulos et al||Enabling Vertical Industries Adoption of 5G Technologies: a Cartography of Evolving Solutions|
|Julie Bradford, Simon Fletcher||The Economic drivers for network elasticity|
|Sina Khatibi, Irina Balan, Dimitris Tsolkas||Slice-Aware Elastic Resource Management|
|Antonio De Domenico, Nicola di Pietro, Ghina Dandachi, and Emilio Calvanese Strinati||Dynamic Deployment of Virtual Network Functions in Heterogeneous Telco Clouds|
Check out our brand new project video:
5G-MoNArch be present at the EuCNC 2018 conference and exhibition, which takes place from June 18-21, 2018, in Ljubljana, Slovenia, with many contributions from it’s current research work and a demonstrator!
In particular, the project contributes to or organizes:
- the 2nd Workshop on business models and techno-economic analysis for 5G networks (project presentation by Real Wireless)
- the Special Session 4a on Resource Elasticity for 5G Network Architecture (session chair: Samsung UK)
- the Special Session 4b on 5G Mobile Network Architecture and New Radio Advances (5GMoNANeRA), organized together with the EU project ONE5G (5G-MoNArch session chairs: Nokia, UC3M, Telecom Italia)
- the Special Session 5 on 5G Architecture towards Verticals (session chairs: Nokia and Huawei), organized by the 5G-PPP Architecture Working Group
- the exhibition booth EX10, which provides a demonstrator from 5G-MoNArch partner NOMOR on network slicing and resource elasticity, together with an updated project video and a number of posters on the scientific work within the project.
The 5G-MoNArch project partner Real Wireless were asked to present a view from 5G-MoNArch on 5G spectrum management within the 7th March 2018 – SPEED-5G workshop in London. Real Wireless talked through a slidepack about the potential implications, even if not directly being addressed in 5G-MoNArch, regarding advanced spectrum management which was the workshop’s topic. More specifically, what are the spectrum implications of network slicing and more localised deployments targeting industrial applications.
The slidesets and demo videos are live and linked to the workshop site:
The 5G-MoNArch project is organizing a workshop (5th International Workshop on 5G Architecture (5GArch)) at ICC 2018 in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, end of May 2018. The workshop is the fifth in the series of 5G Architecture workshops started by the 5G-PPP Phase 1 project 5G NORMA.
Here there are the general info
And this is the program
One of the two 5G-MoNArch testbeds will be implemented in the Palazzo Madama, in the center of Turin, Italy. 5G-MoNArch made a visit to the location in February 2018, in order to start the concrete site planning of the testbed.
The 5G-MoNArch project was represented with a booth at the Mobile World Congress in February 2018. The booth was kindly hosted by MWCapital Barcelona, through the support of the 5G Infrastructure Association. Besides the booth representation, 5G-MoNArch gave an overview presentation of the project at the auditorium of MWCaptial Barcelona. The project video shown at the booth can be obtained from the 5G-MoNArch Youtube channel.
The main goal of the project presence at MWC2018 was to present the activities on E2E architecture and Network Slicing for 5G, and to illustrate the main objectives of the project, namely, how to apply concepts like network reliability, resilience and elasticity to the 5G E2E architecture, and how to turn these concepts into practice through the project testbeds.
Check out our project poster here: MWC2018_5G-MoNArch_v2